Monday, October 06, 2014

Doctrine Leads to Love

Christians try to come up with all kinds of reasons why they shouldn't study doctrine. All of which are WRONG. Every Christian should study doctrine. Understanding doctrine is simply understanding what you believe. The Gospel itself is doctrine. Christians believe that salvation comes through Jesus Christ. If you believe that, you have at least one doctrinal statement. In this article, Tim Challes explains that "your love for God is limited by your knowledge of God"...makes sense to me. The reason I continue to learn more about my wife is because I love her. If you are a Christian, and you say you love God, then it would follow that you learn as much as you can about Him. When a man says to a woman, "I love you" but doesn't want to get to know her, he is only infatuated by her. I think this is a common attitude among Christians. They are infatuated with the church and all the "fun activities" it offers for their family, but they don't really want to know God more. That's not a relationship, it's an infatuation. Knowing God, requires knowing doctrine! This is an article worth reading.


6 Reasons to Study Doctrine

No comments: