Tuesday, February 02, 2016

The Bettelli Buzz Vol. 5 Feb. 2, 2016 The Slopes of Beaver Creek

Well, my second week at Focus on the Family was AWESOME! I don't know of any other word to describe it.

One thing that Focus on the Family does each year is a Family Ski Trip. Every so often, guys from my team will be asked to help with these types of events. So, besides working the event, we also get to hang out with the families on the slopes. 

This year the Focus on the Family Ski Trip was in Beaver Creek, Colorado. Beaver Creek is close to Vail. Other than that, I don't think I could explain how to get there. It was absolutely beautiful. Check out the picture I took from the mountains of the village. 


It was truly a privilege to be a representative on this event. 5-Star Event...hands down!

The last time I went snowboarding in Colorado was some time in the late 90's. Since then I've boarded in North Carolina. There is no comparison whatsoever. The Rockies are bigger, steeper, and the runs seem like they never end. 

Being up in the mountains reminds me of how small I am, and how big our God is. It's so hard to imagine a world without a creator when you sit and look at the breathtaking Rocky Mountains. 



Psalms 95:4-7 says, "In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights or the mountains are his also. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land. Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker! For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand."

I had the privilege of making some great new relationships with men and women who love Jesus and want to see the Gospel go forward to change hearts and minds so that God is glorified through stronger marriages, stronger families, less abortions, and worldwide evangelism. 

Here are a few more photos from the event. 


Below is a picture of me with Kathy Phillips. Kathy is a 1976 Olympic Gold Medalist. She was the youngest gold medalist in alpine skiing at the Innsbruck Olympic Games at age 18. I got to snowboard with her on Friday afternoon while she skied.


Here is another picture of a BLACK that I got stuck in accidentally. I made it out ok, but it took forever. 


This event felt like a "summer camp" of sorts. At the end of the trip, everyone is exchanging information and giving each other hugs hoping that we will see each other again some day. 



Great devotion, hilarious stories (You have to ask me how Dr. Greg and Erin Smalley met...so funny), awesome food, fun friends, and amazing slopes...can you ask for a better event? 

So what's been buzzing around in my head this week? SNOW, SNOW, and more SNOW!!! I wish I had some news to talk about. Well, there's the election, which I'm sure you all are watching. But there has been so much snow in Colorado the past two days that Focus on the Family has been closed. I now know what it means to be SNOWED IN. In the past two days we got between 15-20 inches of snow.


Focus in Review:
So part of my job is to watch, listen, and read the resources that Focus on the Family distributes. So right now, I wanted to let you know what I'm reviewing. 


The Truth Project is a DVD curriculum hosted by Del Tackett and features theologians such as R.C. Spourl, Os Guinness, and Ravi Zacharius. It's a curriculum that takes it's viewers on a journey to understand what it means to have a Christian worldview. It answers questions like: Who is God? What is truth? Why evil in the world? 

2. Finding Home by Jim Daly

Finding Home is the story of Jim Daly's life. Many people know who Dr. James Dobson is the founder of Focus on the Family, but Dr. Dobson retired over 10 years ago, and Jim Daly has been the President of FOTF since 2005. I have met him now on several occasions and he is a really fun guy to listen to. One thing I love about him is that he has a gospel-centered heart. He wants students, families, readers, and watchers to know that FOTF is first and foremost about Jesus, and reaching those in our culture with the gospel. His story is incredible. 

3. Stronger by Jim Daly

I'm also reading a book called Stronger that Jim wrote. This book dives into Scripture to try and understand why bad things happen, and how God uses them. It is filled with Scripture and stories of people who have overcome some major tragedies through the power and strength of the Holy Spirit. 


Here is your Book Buzz:

Has Christianity Failed You? by Ravi Zacharius $3.99
The Call by Os Guinness $2.99
Finishing Our Course with Joy by J.I. Packer $2.99
Rediscovering Holiness by J.I. Packer $1.99
Walking as He Walked by Joel Beeke $.99
Exalting Jesus Commentaries Series with authors such as David Platt, Daniel Akin, James Hamilton, and Tony Merida
Found: God's Peace by John MacArthur FREE


Be Edified.






No comments: